Summer's about taking a break...making time to relax...and having FUN! You can take advantage of this time to re-focus on your own needs...and get some momentum going with your self-care to create a spark that will nourish and fuel you for a strong second half of the year!
Here are 12 tips to keep in mind for a summer of self-care:
1. You are "summer-ready" just as you are! Summer can be a rough time for our self-esteem if we allow ourselves to get trapped in the idea that we need to "get our bodies ready" to enjoy the summer season. You are ready right now! Honest! Be gentle with yourself. Appreciate yourself! Put on that bathing suit. Wear the tank top...you don't need to change a thing to smile and have FUN right now!
2. Get Outside. Take advantage of the longer days and beautiful sunshine while you can! Make a break from your desk and go for a little walk. Eat outside...read...work...play outside. Your body and brain will love that extra dose of Vitamin D, and just being in nature is calming. Spending time near water helps to supercharge your self-care. The sound of water is soothing to the soul, and helps bring clarity to our thoughts. At night, have you ever just gone outside and looked at the stars? I will always remember the first time I was out on a boat at night and able to do that without any lights from houses, businesses, or towns around as a distraction. I looked up and that huge sky filled with stars and was hit with the magnitude of what's going on around us. We are part of something so big! Miracles are all around us. Give yourself permission to slow down and take it all in. It will give you a fresh prospective on things you're dealing with in your life.
3. Take tech breaks. Set up a media-free zone for yourself, and hold yourself accountable. Choosing to manage electronic distractions allows you to focus on real life going on around you. I know people who do a regular Social Media Cleanse, and they tell me how GOOD they feel as a result! Analyze your time on line...has it become an addiction? Are you not getting things done because you get lost scrolling? Take a break! Set barriers, and stick to them. You could create a daily "shut off time" - an hour or two before bed, for example. Or, you could go big and unplug during weekends, or on vacation. Us the time away from gadgets to connect with your friends and family the old-fashioned way---face to face... eyeball to eyeball.
4. Hang out with positive people. In a book called The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy, a social psychologist is quoted as saying that the people you regularly spend the most time with determine as much as 95% of your success or failure in life. Read that again. WOW...right?! So....who are you spending time with? Are they people who you admire and lift you up to help bring out the best version of you? Or...well...not so much? Choose to be around people who inspire you and make you feel great. If you're looking for those kinds of people, join our private Take Care Tips Community Facebook group.
5. Allow yourself to relax. We all re-energize in different ways. Some people need to be alone, others need to be around people. Some need to be quiet - others; active. Chances are good you've been running so long you have trouble relaxing! Take some time to find works for you.
6. Do something new. Stop waiting for time to get to that thing you've been wanting to try, and make it happen! Every day holds so many new opportunities for you to reconnect with what lights you up. Don't be afraid to get uncomfortable...make this your summer to try new things---whether it's something as small as a new recipe, or as big as a trip, or other adventure...there's big value in making time to expand yourself through stretching yourself and doing something you've never done before.
7. Fill up with good stuff. Drink more water to stay hydrated in the warmer weather. Take advantage of the fresh, and often less expensive, fresh local produce at summer markets. Fuel yourself with fresh fruit smoothies, and health grilled vegetables for salads and side dishes.
8. Make a bucket list for the summer, and stick to it! What do you want to do this summer? Have you taken the time to think about that? Do it! Forget about time and money limitations - don't ask yourself, "is the possible?" Just get it all out of your head and into a list somewhere. Then, make it a goal to cross at least one thing off that list ASAP! Think of all the fun you'll have, and the memories you'll make!
9. Remind yourself of what your body can do. Instead of beating yourself up for the weight you haven't lost, or any part of you that you don't like...focus on appreciating your body for the all things it can do. You were created so beautifully, to laugh, love, smile... hug. Appreciate the things you can do, and...put yourself in situations that allow you to challenge your body to get stronger. It will be so rewarding to watch that happen!
10. Start each day with gratitude. As you're waking up, before you reach for you phone, or your coffee...take just a few minutes to check in with yourself. The action you take in the morning sets the tone for your whole day. If you keep a journal (which I recommend) jot down a few things you're thankful for. Acknowledging these things trains your brain to look for more throughout your day.
11. Plan a Vacation or Staycation. Where you go isn't as important as just going somewhere because you want to...not because you have to! There's a movement gaining momentum where people want to work less ad live more. A change of environment is so good for the brain! So whether you pack up and take a trip, or devote some time to exploring the sights and sounds of your own community--soaking up the sounds, sights, smells, and tastes of summer nurtures the soul!
Which one of these ideas is your favorite? What do you like to do for self-care in the summer?
Which one are you?
How do you normally start your day? Are you more like the person on the left or the right? Setting yourself up for a refreshed, happy, energetic morning starts the night before with a self-care evening routine...but...there are still some things you can do to pump up your mornings.
I understand that it can be challenging to find some time for yourself in the morning, that's why I love to work with ten minute self-care tips!
I have a 10-Minute Morning Routine I'm happy to share with you that will give you so much good energy when you first wake up. And, that good energy will spread out throughout your day. You'll have more clarity, be more productive, feel more in control, and happier!
the importance of a strong start
•Your first waking minutes are about clearing the cobwebs of sleep from your mind and getting your brain focused and revved up for the day.
•How you prep your mind and body during those first minutes is key to putting yourself in the right mindset to take on the challenges and possibilities before you.
•By starting your day with intent, you can maximize your effectiveness, increase your positivity and form good habits that will carry you through the day.
•Once you settle lock in a good morning routine, you’ll naturally begin doing it every day!
10-Minutes in the morning
GET HYDRATED: 1-MINUTE
•Even if your brain seems to be screaming for coffee as soon as you open your eyes, what your mind and body really need is some good old WATER! Water does wonders for your health and wellness.
•An adult body is composed of 55-60% water, so making sure you get enough is absolutely vital to ensuring your mind and body function properly. In the morning, your body will be a little dehydrated because you haven’t had anything to drink for eight hours.
•Dehydration leaves you feeling drained and sluggish, drinking water flushes toxins that have built up in your system overnight, and gives your metabolism a little boost. It also helps reduce stomach acidity and reduces symptoms of heartburn.
•SUPERCHARGE YOUR SELF-CARE: Add a drop of Wild Orange or Lemon Essential Oil to your water. It acts as a detoxifying agent, and aromatically, will help clear your mind, and give you a positive energy boost! (***Make sure the Essential Oils are safe for internal use. The brand I use has that labeling on the bottle)
•Research shows that changing our breathing pattern to take six to 10 deep breaths per minute restores balance to our stress-response system. It reduces anxiety and depression, increases energy and strengthens our immune system, and improves our mental concentration.
•Our mind and breath mirror each other. A quiet mind leads to quiet breathing. So, when we learn to regulate our breathing, we can influence both our physical and emotional states! If you’re constantly waking up feeling out of sorts and groggy, taking a few minutes to practice deep breathing can help you feel refreshed and energized.
•SUPERCHARGE YOUR SELF-CARE: Add one drop each of Peppermint and Wild Orange Essential Oil to your palm, rub your palms together, cup your hands over your nose and mouth and take a nice deep breath in, then let it out..it’s instant happy energy!
•Stretching after sleep instantly makes you feel better and helps your muscles wake up and begin to function more efficiently. Stretching is a simple form of exercise that can will ease muscle tension from the previous day.
•Doing some simple stretches first thing in the morning can help with muscle tightness and joint stiffness, as well as enhance your circulation and increase overall body flexibility.
•SUPERCHARGE YOUR SELF-CARE: Add a squirt of Coconut Oil and 1-2 drops of AromaTouch or Deep Blue Essential Oil blend, rub your palms together, then rub the mixture on any sore/tight areas.
GIVE THANKS: 3 MINUTES
•When we take time to give thanks and be grateful for all we have, we’re happier and less anxious, and our relationships improve. Take a few minutes every morning to write down at least one thing you are grateful for in your life.
•This could be something as simple as getting a good night’s sleep or feeling grateful for spending time with friends and family. Or it could be something more profound, such as having good health, having food in your refrigerator and never having to worry about going hungry.
•Taking a few minutes every morning to remind yourself of how awesome your life is, even during the bleakest and darkest of times, will instantly flick the positivity switch in your brain. Doing this boosts your feelings of connection to other people, your feelings of joy and contentment, and lowers your stress and anxiety.
•SUPERCHARGE YOUR SELF-CARE: Do a 3-Minute journal exercise. Take one minute to write down three things you are grateful for. Take another minute to write down three things you can do to get you closer to a goal. Take one minute to write down something you can do to make someone smile. Gratitude and daily planning help your mind feel clearn, refreshed, and ready to focus!
POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS & VISUALIZATION: 3 MINUTES
•This final step can be done quickly, but it’s the key to moving confidently into your day. Imagine the day ahead and all the big and little things you have to accomplish.
•As you run through these events in your mind, visualize yourself achieving your major goals for the day. Imagine the work you’ll need to do -- the meetings or important phone calls you have in store. See yourself handling any difficult situations with grace and tact, and imagine how you’ll move through your projects efficiently and competently. Imagine yourself staying on task and being productive, knocking out your to-do list and handling whatever may come up.
•By simply spending a few minutes visualizing what you want to achieve today and over the long term, you will give yourself a plan to follow in seeing these goals accomplished in real life. Things may not always go as you imagined, but at least you’ll have a road map of where you’re going and how you plan to handle different situations.
•SUPERCHARGE YOUR SELF-CARE: Create a vision board! Find pictures of the things you want---what do you really want? Get clear on that. Get the pictures, and add them to a board or frame where you can see them often. Seeing those things will motivate you to work for them.
I'm so happy to share my new book with you! Essential Take Care Tips offers 101 Ten-Minute Self-Care Strategies that you can use to take better care of yourself while you're taking care of others.
The chapters cover all the things we need help with:
Each one of those 101 Tips includes an Essential Oil recipe, protocol, or suggestion that will boost your results. Is Essential Take Care Tips for you? Watch this short video to find out more.
I'm Jen and I'm happy you're here! I share information to help you take better care of yourself so you can feel stronger and happier taking care of those you love.